[mythtv-users] MythTV on a 4:3 HDTV

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Sat Jun 19 13:09:47 EDT 2004

homebreweverything wrote:
> I have a 4:3 WEGA HDTV-capable set.  Is it possible to use a video card with
DVI out, or a VGA->DVI converter or a VGA->component converter to display
4:3 content?  The modes I've seen discussed for HDTV converters are all
16:9, but I have a lot of 4:3 content that would then get letterboxed to
16:9 on the TV, which would be letterboxed to fit 4:3, so there'd be a
letterbox all around the image I beleieve.

This is in fact a problem for people with 4:3 HDTV sets.  Building on my
recent (0.15) work to use a different video mode for playback vs. GUI,
it would be easy enough to use different modes for different aspect
ratios, different channels, etc.  Then you could use 480p for 4:3 modes,
which should use the whole screen.  The difficulty is a GUI to configure
all this (and also support DVB, which has its own aspect ratio issues
that I simply have never understood).  I myself have very little
incentive to work on anything like this, as my set is 16:9, but it's a
simple enough task it might be a good way for somebody to get their feet
wet.

-Doug