[mythtv-users] Mythtv playback quality poll

Jason Keirstead mythtv at keirstead.org
Thu Jun 17 08:06:43 EDT 2004

resoli at tiscali.it wrote:

>I capture  720x576 mpeg2 @ 4500/6000 (I tried also at higher bitrates).
>At this resolution
>and bitrate mythtv software playback cannot keep up on my EPIA (thanks Jelle
>for pointing
>this out), so I am forced to use hw-decoding.

Holy overkill. I capture at 640x480 and 2800  kbps MPEG4 encoding, and
the quality is top notch. I only see artifacts during heavy color and
motion scenes.

I am sure if I ramped it up to 3500 or so I would ahve no artifacts, but
I would rather trade occasional minor quality for lots more diskspace.

My setup:

All in one box
Standard generic BT878 capture catrd ( STB )
Althlon 2800 XP+ ( software encoding )
Nvidia Geforce4 MX for TV out
XvMC hardware deocding via NVidia.