[mythtv-users] mythbackend, mythfrontend, ivtv problems...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 16 12:10:14 EDT 2004

Gerald Schepens wrote:

> The ivtv buffers were set up in my modules.conf to be a larger number
> than the default, so I don't think this is the problem.

Chris has been experimenting with the buffer sizes (for both encoder and
decoder) for quite a few releases now, and recommends that people remove
any module options for buffer size (
http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/current/msg00292.html ).  Although that was
mentioned in the ck88a release, the information about the buffers being
incorrecly allocated applies in earlier versions (i..e ck77b).
Therefore, because of the incorrect allocation, the buffer options may
not be doing what you thought they were doing.  And, to make matters
worse, the larger buffer size may actually be causing the problem you're
experiencing with failed allocations because of the way that the driver
grabs memory.

Most likely simply doing a hard reboot will fix the problem for a short
time, but the problem will probably resurface if you don't change your
module options.  It's important to power down when rebooting because the
PVR-x50's retain a lot of information across soft boots, so powering off
is currently the only way to do a complete reset.  Therefore, I
recommend you remove the buffer information from modules.conf and power
off and boot.

Also, if using the ck releases of ivtv, I recommend that you sign up for
(and read) the IvyTV ML's ( http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=73219
).  If you are subscribed, great.  If not, you may want to take this
opportunity to do so. ;)

HTH.

Mike