AW: [mythtv-users] Anyone using the ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard?

Torsten Schenkel mythtv at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Jun 16 04:39:57 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 03:52, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:15:28PM +0200, Torsten Schenkel wrote:
> > I have two workstations which I bought when there was no info about it
> > except one thread on the kernel mailing list :-). The test system had
> > the chipset revision that worked. The second was a PITA to debug.
> >
> > My solution: Kernel with APIC and LAPIC disabled. Since 2.4.25 or 26
> > there is a boot option for lapic, so the rebuild isn't necessary.
> >
> > The APIC has some flaws, but generally works (powerbutton is fine,
>       ^^^^
> > that's all I use) so you can delete the acpi=off option.
>
> Did you mean ACPI here? Please be careful, there's a lot of confusion
> about whether the nForce2 problems are APIC, ACPI or both.

Argh, and that to me, who is constantly telling other people the
difference and not to confuse it.

OK, again. The NForce2 chipsets do work with APIC and LAPIC disabled and
ACPI enabled.

Recent research seems to hint that the problem is with a race condition
with cpu disconnect. So another configuration worth a try might be:

APIC, LAPIC and ACPI enabled. CPU disconnect disabled (using athcool or
the bios).

(My experiences with athcool I stated in the former mail where from a
non-NForce2 board which had i/o races with the athcool features enabled)

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough