AW: [mythtv-users] Anyone using the ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard?

Torsten Schenkel mythtv at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Jun 15 17:15:28 EDT 2004

Am Di, den 15.06.2004 schrieb r.oth um 22:04:

> Am Montag, 14. Juni 2004 15:44 schrieb Mike Drons:
> > Any known issues with the ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard?  I am considering
> > upgrading my motherboard and CPU.
>
> I'm working on this MoBo (Suse8.2), it's quite good!
> But I don't know if the SATA and Gigabit-Lan is working!
> And I need the "noapic and acpi=off" bootoptions, otherwise I've some
> probs with the LAN!

There are several revisions of the NForce2 in the wild, some (the older
ones) will run with apic enabled.

I have two workstations which I bought when there was no info about it
except one thread on the kernel mailing list :-). The test system had
the chipset revision that worked. The second was a PITA to debug.

My solution: Kernel with APIC and LAPIC disabled. Since 2.4.25 or 26
there is a boot option for lapic, so the rebuild isn't necessary.

The APIC has some flaws, but generally works (powerbutton is fine,
that's all I use) so you can delete the acpi=off option.

Don't use athcool with i/o heavy applications like myth. There a race
condition somewhere that get's triggered when the cpu is disconnected.

Torsten