[mythtv-users] Wishlist

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 15 10:22:00 EDT 2004

On Monday 14 June 2004 22:55, Chris Jensen wrote:
> - Also, there are a lot of times when I have to exit myth music when
> I'd like the music to keep playing
> eg Changing Settings, Viewing a Slide Show, Viewing the Weather, the
> news, even when playing games etc
> And although I haven't got a TV caputre card, I dare say that when I
> do, there'll be times when I'll want the audio from the tv to keep
> playing when I do a lot of these things.
> So it'd be nice if modules that produce audio could be allowed to
> continue to run in the background at certain times.

I usually don't like to join in on "wish list" threads if I'm not
prepared to offer code or at least code design ideas, but this is
actually the one "killer feature" that I think would really bring Myth
to "the next level" -- the ability for any type of media playback
(audio, video, whatever) to continue across the entire user interface.
Basically, a playback stream should only stop if:
  - the user cancels it
  - the stream ends
  - a different stream is activated

This probably wouldn't be *too* difficult for audio, but the real killer
feature would be to have it for video as well -- for instance, if every
UI screen had a "hole" in it (like the EPG when watching LiveTV) where
any current video playback stream could still be viewed.  The hole
would be active only if there is an active video stream.

This would be a rather significant change to the architecture, but it
would make worlds of difference in the user experience.

Just my $.02.

-JAC