[mythtv-users] PVR-350 tv out scart question

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Jun 14 07:59:53 EDT 2004

At 12:27 14/06/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've got a PAL PVR-350 and I've been using the scart cable that came
>supplied with it.  This scart lead also has a trailing 3.5mm jack
>coming out of the DIN plug end and goes into the PVR-350.
>
>Does anyone know where this is supposed to plug in?  I thought it
>might go to the speaker out of my sound card, so that I can get audio
>from there onto the TV, but that doesn't seem to happen.

 From what I remember when reading reviews prior to plumping for the
PVR-250, the 3.5mm jack is for audio input into the SCART lead (for adding
audio to what's outputted to the TV? I dunno), and doesn't have anything to
do with the operation of the PVR-350 per se. SCART, like SVideo, is meant
to contain all the video and audio data in itself, so plugging things into
the sound card shouldn't be needed.

>I can play recordings and watch TV through myth using the PVR-350
>output no problems.  The sound from the mpeg stream goes through the
>scart socket to the TV like it should.  What I thought was that if I
>plugged this trailing 3.5mm lead into the soundcard output, I'd also
>get audio when I played movies with mplayer (mythvideo), which use the
>framebuffer.

I imagine this is exactly the sort of thing it's intended for - have you
tried it? Since the fb is designed only to take care of what's going on on
the PVR-350, you're prolly meant to chuck it into the line-out on your
soundcard.

>Does anyone have any ideas on if this can be done?  I could always
>revert back to an svideo lead and mix the pvr audio outputs with the
>soundcard outputs, but then I'd need an svideo to scart adapter.  I'd
>rather keep the joins and boxes between the output and the tv to a
>minimum.

This is very interesting. I'm utterly staggered that their manual (from
www.hauppauge.co.uk) doesn't have any mention at all of any SCART cables,
although this review mentions it for using audio input.
http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h427.htm