[mythtv-users] Zap2It needs our help

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Mon Jun 14 01:37:56 EDT 2004

Chris Petersen wrote:
>>It's in the General setup in the frontend, fourth (last) page.  Check
>>the "Automatically run mythfilldatabase", and then fill in the settings
>>that appear...
> ahh, sweet, thanks.  Would have thought it would be under "TV".
> so all things considered, wouldn't it be best to set the default times
> to 1 -> 24?  So it runs randomly at some point during the day?  (could
> add code to the random such that it would never run less than 12 hours
> apart, etc)

Probably not a bad idea.  Currently, the housekeeping thread that kicks
off mythfilldatabase wakes up ever 5 minutes and checks to see if
anything needs to be done.  The frequency (in days) to run
mythfilldatabase is set on the setup page, as is the min/max time for
execution start.  It's not really random right now - it's kind of a
'walking' pattern.  For example, with a min/max window set to 01:00 to
05:00, and 1 one day run frequency:

The first run will be the first time the housekeeping thread wakes up
inside the min/max window.  Say it wakes at 01:02.  mythfilldatabase
runs until ~01:10, and the database is updated with the last runtime.
Next time (the next night), when the housekeeping thread wakes up at
01:02, it hasn't been a full day since the last run, so it goes back to
sleep.  Two wakes later at 01:12, all conditions will be satisfied and
it'll run.

If it becomes an issue, I can probably make it be more random (I did the
original housekeeping thread).  Right now I'm working on my DVB card...

Matt White                          whitem at arts.usask.ca
Arts and Science Computer Labs      University of Saskatchewan

It sure is Monday... Ain't it a sin
I've gotta work my way thru the week again.
	- Mark Chesnutt..."Sure Is Monday"