[mythtv-users] IR with Motorola DCT2500 digital cable box

Ken Schutte kschutte at MIT.EDU
Sun Jun 13 18:47:39 EDT 2004

I've been working on settings up MythTV and everything looks great, but
one area has been keeping me from really using it: channing channels.

I have Comcast digital cable in Boston, MA with a Motorola DCT2500 cable
box.  I have lircd working with the Hauppauge PVR350 reciever and
remote.  I have been initially trying to get lircd to recognize my cable
box's commands before I try to get transmitting to work.

I found another post saying that DCT2000 IR config file works for
DCT2500, so I downloaded it and did the following:
 >> /sbin/service lircd stop
 >> cat DCT2000.conf >> /etc/lircd.conf
 >> /sbin/service lircd start
 >> irw
None of the buttons on the cable remote show any response. (but
hauppauge gray remote still works, so lircd seems to be running properly).

I've also tried irrecord and have had no luck in learing my cable box
remote.  (error: "gap not found, can't continue")  In fact, irrecord has
given the same error the four or five remotes I've tried.  (but again,
the gray hauppauge remote is recognized, so at least irrrecord is
reading from the reciever).

Any suggestions?  (Does anyone have this cable box?)
Should the hauppauge IR reciever (plugged into pvr card) recognize other
remotes?

Thanks.
Ken