[mythtv-users] Re: apt-get couldn't find package error

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sun Jun 13 13:23:58 EDT 2004

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2004, at 8:10 AM, daryl faulds wrote:
>

>> "Your nVidia video card will work fine with FC2 it
>> will just lack 3D acceleration. If you absolutely need
>> 3D acceleration then there are instructions available
>> that will guide you through the steps to install the
>> binary only driver. For future purchases, avoid nVidia
>> and buy hardware supported by open source and you can
>> avoid this step."
>

> They only advocate not buying nVidia hardware if you want to "avoid
> this step" as described above. Red Hat has said that exact same thing
> for years.

What hardware do they recommend?  How many open source drivers do you
know that have *good* 3D support?  I understand that Nvidia needs to
update their drivers, but if that zealotry is the party line from FC
then they need to get their heads out of their asses.

>> there is not likely to be resolution soon.
>
> Until there is a attitude change by the FC developers
>
> A change of attitude at Red Hat is not going to change the fact that
> nVidia's driver is closed-source. A change of policy at nVidia is
> about the only thing that would have any impact on this situation.

Ahhh yes, let's all hold to the mantra that all source must be open and
then wonder why we have such shitty drivers for our hardware.