[mythtv-users] Crackling noise from sound card -- unusable

Rick Schultz rick at superhallway.com
Sat Jun 12 17:54:49 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:45:23AM -0700, Ryan Allen wrote:
> Every time I wiggle the mouse I hear more static.

Say, that sounds familiar....

I used to have a system where that would happen.  It turned out to be
stray noise from unused inputs.  I found that turning down one of the
mixer settings (can't remember which one) fixed the problem.

> The sound from the cable feed is on constantly.  If I exit out of
> MythTV and leave the stereo on, I still hear all the sound from the
> channel I left the tuner on.  Any ideas?

That also sounds like a mixer issue.  If you set the line-in volume up,
it goes to the output in hardware - regardless of what software is
running.  You should have separate controls in the mixer for line-in and
capture volume.  You want to set the line-in controls all the way down,
and the capture volume to whatever's reasonable.  (on my system, that
turns out to be surprisingly low, around 35%, otherwise it distorts).

hth,
rick