[mythtv-users] RE:OT: Best way to migrate to new hard drive?

Martin Smith martin at spamcop.net
Fri Jun 11 12:31:30 EDT 2004

steve wrote:

> What's the best way to move my MythTV box from a dying hard drive to a
> new one?

> Before you answer, understand I'm using LVM in this case for my
> recordings partition (everything else is currently ext3 on plain
> partitions).

You'll probably have to do the other stuff the old fashioned way but you can
transfer your LVM data with pvmove. All you have to do is create a new LVM
physical volume, vgextend the volume group with the new partition, pvmove the
data over and then vgreduce the volume group.

e.g:

partition new disk to create LVM partition

pvcreate /dev/new_lvm_partition
vgextend whatevervg /dev/new_lvm_partition
pvmove /dev/old_lvm_partition
vgreduce whatevervg /dev/old_lvm_partition

If you had more logical volumes on LVM this would migrate all of them at the
same time. These days I have everything except the root filesystem in reiserfs
on LVM.

Martin