[mythtv-users] Recording LED almost working.

Rick St.Pierre rsp at idcomm.com
Thu Jun 10 21:48:12 EDT 2004

I have 2 LEDs working, one for each of my PVR-250s.   I built a
parallel port cable based on a design I found on the web (I can't
remember where, but it was a very simple circuit).

I then have cron run this simple script every minute.  I have always
wanted to see if there was a way mythtv could run this script
automatically when it starts/stops recording, but haven't had the time
to look into it.  The script is:

#! /bin/sh

if [ `fuser /dev/video0 | grep -cv grep` == "0" ]
then
        if [ `fuser /dev/video1 | grep -cv grep` == "0" ]
        then
        /usr/local/bin/lpt_light 0
        else
        /usr/local/bin/lpt_light 2
        fi
else
        if [ `fuser /dev/video1 | grep -cv grep` == "0" ]
        then
        /usr/local/bin/lpt_light 1
        else
        /usr/local/bin/lpt_light 3
        fi
fi

the lpt_light program is a simple little program I wrote myself.  A
parameter of 1 turns on the first light, 2 the second, and 3 both
lights.  The code is:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <asm/io.h>

#define base 0x378

main (int argc, char **argv)
{
    int value;

    if (argc != 2)
        fprintf(stderr, "ERROR - Wrong number of input arguments.\n"), exit(1);

    if (sscanf(argv[1],"%i",&value)!=1)
        fprintf(stderr, "ERROR - Parameter is not a number.\n"), exit(1);

    if ((value<0) || (value>255))
        fprintf(stderr, "ERROR - Invalid numeric value.\n"), exit(1);

    if (ioperm(base,1,1))
        fprintf(stderr, "ERROR - Could not access printer port.\n"), exit(1);

    outb((unsigned char)value, base);

}

Hopefully this helps some people out.  The only down side is the light
will only change when the script is run.  I am hoping to find time to
get working on the mythtv code soon, and maybe integrate this better.

Rick.

--
Rick St.Pierre
rsp Acoustics