[mythtv-users] newbie uk mythtv question

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 19:37:52 EDT 2004

I have a Hauppauge Nova-T which I've never actually plugged in due to lack
of PCI slots - d'oh! - but is reported to work well.

Though I hear the best budget card is the Avermedia something-or-other.
IIRC, they both work with the standard (budget?) DVB-T driver from
linuxtv.org (or included in 2.6).

As far as other HW goes, you'll want a mobo without a problematic chipset
(and a fairly beefy CPU if this is a standalone box) - personally I use a
gigabyte KM400 based mATX board with an Athlon 2400 (overkill - a 1700 will
do you proud, but a powerful CPU on this machine is useful for reasons
other than myth) in it. I use a budget GerForceFX (which helps with the
MPEG2 decoding) for output to monitor and maybe a TV at some point. Boxed
up in a nice black coolermaster case. You're either going to need a big and
quiet HD (at least 60GB) for recordings, else a big-assed server to hold
them on over the network - personally I use 80GB and 120GB seagates in an
LVM. Chuck in as much RAM and HD as you think you'll need, they're cheap.

I have a server with about 500GB of RAID1 which holds all the music and
movies and, as of about 45 minutes ago, also holds the mythtv database.

Hope this helps. Once my myth-on-gentoo howto is complete, I'm might do
some hardware-stuff for the mythtv wiki.