[mythtv-users] Re: Improving WAF -- Poweroff Through The Remote

Kevin Barsby Kevin.Barsby at Sun.COM
Thu Jun 10 18:28:16 EDT 2004

> I would love to see more info on how to configure the power button to
> shut down properly.  I know of embedded distros like minimyth that can
> do it but not for full distros.  Where can I find tools that will let me
> work with the power button?

If your machine has a "soft" power button, it's more than likely
possible to use ACPI to configure it.

Make sure you've got ACPI on in the kernel, and install and run the
acpid daemon.

The kernel logs ACPI events in /proc/acpi/events. acpid listens to this
and can be configured to run different scripts on different events.

So like one of the other followups said, you then simply set the
"powerbtn" event (or whatever it's called) to run a shutdown script.

Cheers
Kev