[mythtv-users] PVR 250 and channels

Eric mythlist at frederiksen.nu
Thu Jun 10 18:02:41 EDT 2004

Hi Jesper!

The settings in Mythtv seems correct, provided the pvr250 turns up as
/dev/video0. I live Sweden and had some problems setting up the channels
(I've a local cable provider) as I only knew the frequency, not the
channel number. This is basically what I did:

1) Check the frequencies.c and frequencies.h source files to match
frequency to channel number.

2) Initialize the pvr250 using test_ioctl:
# Set input to tuner 0
test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -p 4
# Set video standard to PAL
test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -u 0xff
# Set video resolution to full PAL
test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -f width=720,height=576
# Set the msp3400
test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -v input=3,output=1

3) Tune to a channel by using ptune.pl either with the frequency (in khz):
ptune.pl --input /dev/video0 --frequency 203000

or by using the channel number:
ptune.pl --input /dev/video0 --freqtable pal-europe --channel E9

4) Now you should be able to capture some video by doing
mplayer /dev/video0

Hope this helps!
I've spent a couple of weeks googling to get my box up and running but
it was totally worth the time.

To Isaac and the developers: This software rocks, great work!