[mythtv-users] my startup scripts are running twice

Tom Lee tom at zunta.org
Thu Jun 10 16:21:42 EDT 2004

Sorry in advance for my linux naivete, but here's my problem: my startup scripts are running twice.  I get two copies of mythfrontend, and, worse, two instance of irxevent, which doubles the action performed by each remote control keypress, making menu navigation impossible.  I've tried locating the code to start these processes in .bash_profile and /etc/profile.  I have no idea why it's running twice -- this is a fresh install of FC2, and I haven't messed around with either of the scripts except to add three little lines (a call to alsactl, irxevent, and mythfrontend).  I'm mystified.

If anyone can explain what's going on, that'd be great.  But I think the quickest fix may be to just put those three lines inside a logic block that can only be executed once: an if to check that a variable is not set, execution of the three commands, fi, then the variable is set and exported.  Unfortunately, I know very little about scripting and my efforts -- which look syntactically correct to me -- are generating errors.  Could anyone write a quick example script of how I would accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any help.