[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV artifacts/waviness

John Sturgeon john at sturgeonfamily.com
Thu Jun 10 12:18:43 EDT 2004

Doug Larrick wrote:

> John Sturgeon wrote:
>
>> Basically, I record the HDTV content to a .nuv file, use ProjectX to
>> demux the video from the audio, and use transcode to convert the
>> whole thing to xvid4.  I'm beginning to think that it might be a 3:2
>> pulldown issue introduced by scaling 480i up to 1080i
>

> I'd suggest you deinterlace before transcoding, via whatever means you
> can.  Since transcoding doesn't have to be real-time, you can use a
> nice high-quality deinterlacer.  OTOH, since you're scaling down by
> quite a bit, even just separating the fields and doubling the
> framerate (or discarding the odd fields) would alleviate this problem.
>
> -Doug

Thanks Doug,  I couldn't de-interlace prior to transcoding because the
tool I use (ProjectX) doesn't provide that capability, so instead I
tried to de-interlace during transcode, and it works great.  Thanks for
the suggestion.

For those of you who are doing HDTV recording, and need to reliably
transcode the files to a more manageable size, I will be doing a
write-up when I get a chance.

Regards,

--
John Sturgeon <><