[mythtv-users] Gapless audio playback?

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 09:32:45 EDT 2004

At 06:03 10/06/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>I have about 1200 CDs worth of lossless audio on a
>server at my home, a 480 GB RAID5.  This machine is
>located in my garage, and I plan on networking it to
>an Xbox/Linux configuration running MythTV next to my
>stereo in my living room.  My question is: does MythTV
>support continuous gapless playback?  I have a lot of
>DJ mixes (no comments on that, please) where tracks
>run continuously over track boundaries.  It's
>important to me that playback remains gapless,
>otherwise it ruins the listening experience - so I'm
>hoping that MythTV will keep the music as it was
>intended.  Could someone confirm whether or not the
>music plays gaplessly?
>
>Many thanks,

I'm in much the same situation as yourself. 0.14 wasn't very good at being
gapless, but mythmusic in 0.15.1 works perfectly with vorbis and FLAC in my
experience. MP3's sometimes have a slight delay IME (I even get delays in
Winamp, so I assume it's something to do with MP3's being crummy at gapless
playback).

I did have some issues when the visualisations thrashed the CPU (anyone got
any ideas how I can fix this?) which throttled SMBD (sorry, yes, haven't
got around to NFS yet) and resulted in stuttery network for 'high'
bandwidth things like FLACs.