[mythtv-users] Multiple capture cards, single video source, and scheduling

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed Jun 9 21:58:34 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 07:26:21PM +0000, Mikhail D'Vane wrote:
> Recently, I added a second capture card to my backend system
> in order to be able to watch live TV and record (from another
> channel) simultaneously.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems that MythTV is not very smart when
> this condition occurs.  Even though a second card is sitting idle,
> MythTV very often wants to "steal" the card that's currently
> encoding live tv in order to record a program.  It's quite annoying,
> especially since I added a second card explicitly to get around this
> issue.

I can't help, but only confirm that I've seen the same thing.
There are variations on this too: if you record two programs back to
back (especially on different channels), Myth will record them both on
the same card and skip the post-recording time, rather than use the
second card. Unfortunately TV stations here make a habit of running 3-7
minutes late so I depend on the post-recording time.

Hamish