[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV artifacts/waviness

John Sturgeon john at sturgeonfamily.com
Wed Jun 9 20:48:44 EDT 2004

Doug Larrick wrote:

> John Sturgeon wrote:
>
>> Some of the HDTV (1920x1080i) content I have has strange waviness
>> during motion.  It creates what I guess I could best describe as a
>> 'fat' interlaced picture.  You can see a screen shot here:
>> http://www.sturgeonfamily.com/images/screenshot.php  I have tried
>> various deinterlacing filters, but none have any effect.  I'm
>> guessing I'm missing something really basic here.
>

> I'd guess you're using XvMC?  The deinterlacing filters don't work at
> all for XvMC.
>
> If you're not using XvMC, double-check that the normal deinterlacing
> filter doesn't remove it.  This effect is exactly what I see if I feed
> an interlaced frame to my 1920x540p (or 960x540p) output.  I think
> it's the hardware scaling algorithms not doing a very good job with
> the interlaced picture.
>
> If you're actually using an interlaced output mode (1080i), you're
> beyond my experience.
>
> -Doug

I'm not using XvMC (for the de-interlacing reason), and my modeline from
XF86Config is:
       ModeLine     "888x508in540p" 37.3 888 944 1048 1104 508 534 548
563 +hsync +vsync

Basically, I record the HDTV content to a .nuv file, use ProjectX to
demux the video from the audio, and use transcode to convert the whole
thing to xvid4.  I'm beginning to think that it might be a 3:2 pulldown
issue introduced by scaling 480i up to 1080i

--
John <><