[mythtv-users] help compiling ivtv (was Segmentation fault:)

Eric Hattemer eric at hattenator.dyndns.org
Tue Jun 8 19:40:06 EDT 2004

Gadgetboyeee wrote:

> Regarding gcc I am using version gcc 3.3.2 Mandrake with gcc-c++
> 3.2.2-6mdk compiler support for gcc v 3.3.2 .
>
> You mention you are using a bttv card... would I do better to go to a
> different card? which one?

bttv is by no means better hardware. The difference is basically the
bttv cards create uncompressed video and rely on the processor to handle
it, whereas the ivtv cards do all the compression in hardware so they
don't require much of a cpu. The ivtv cards are probably more expensive,
so if you have one, keep it. If you really don't think you are going to
get the ivtv card to work, you can pay probably $50 for a bttv card,
like the Ati TV Wonder (my card), but there must be some people using
ivtv and mandrake successfully.

> To explain what is going on... using MythTV 0.14 The software list it
> suggests the Hauppauge 250/350 capture card also, you need to use the
> ivtv driver... With "0.14

You might download .15. Its not going to solve your problem, but it is
newer.

> I don't have any options for Video Device ( looking in "dev" I don't
> see any video devices) and I don't have an option for default inputs.

So you're probably right that your kernel modules aren't set up.

> Late last night I read in a few groups, the driver may not be
> supported with 2.6 kernel... You asked the question why I was running
> a different Kernel, when I read some of the postings I was reminded
> why I tried to use a different kernel... it was the reason I switched...

Like I said, I haven't tried anything dealing with ivtv. If it requires
2.4, that's what it requires...

> In making the ivtv driver the README states all you should have to do
> is change directories into "driver" and run "make"... yesterday this
> was an issue you helped me correct by suggesting I get the 2.6.3-7
> source file for the kernel... Thank You!
>
> However now with that in place and running "make" I'm getting the
> errors as noted. I tried to redirect the error output, to a file
> however, all I'm able to capture is the top:
>
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -D__KERNEL_SYSCALLS__ -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS –
> I/lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/build/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
> -march=i586 -mcpu=i586 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-unused
> -include/lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/build/include/linux/
> modversions.h -c -o msp3400.o msp3400.c

This is the line I would expect helpful info on. Right after this -o
line. If you made a file out of these errors, you could probably post
the file assuming its not too big. If there is an ivtv mailing list out
there somewhere, you might want to join that.

> At The End of the string: "msp3400.c : 1408 : error structure has no
> member named data
> error - make *** [msp3400.c] error 1"

Usually this specific type of error is due to a bigger error like a
missing file.

> In Closing, I am REALLY not trying to be a pain, (burden) for
> anyone... Just would like to enjoy using this project, and not buying
> another VCR which is in the shop which drove me to this project in the
> first place... The downside is my lack of experience and the fact, out
> here on the West Coast, none of my peers use Linux... so I'm in a
> virtual vacuum...

This list has supported me, so I'm willing to try to support others.
However, I know nothing about ivtv, which is where your problem seems to
be.

Ok, so maybe ivtv does not support kernel 2.6. Some things do not.
Mandrake 10 ships with a 2.4 series kernel rpm along with the 2.6 one.
So install kernel 2.4.*.rpm and kernel-source-2.4.*.rpm. Boot into that
and try compiling again from there. Otherwise, check for ivtv
information (known problems, mailing list, etc.). Or hopefully someone
who's compiled ivtv on this list (especially with Mandrake) will chime
in with suggestions.

-Eric Hattemer