[mythtv-users] Diskless EPIA w/PVR-350 (was: Problems with the VIA KM400 chipset)

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Jun 8 03:21:17 EDT 2004

On Jun 7, 2004, at 21:50, Kevin Barsby wrote:

>> I thought so too. =)
>
> It's my "Phase II, when I have a spare PC and time to burn" :-)

I know how that works. I had this thing sitting on my shelf for about a
month and a half not doing a thing before finally having some time this
weekend. It unfortunately consumed the time I'd tentatively set aside
for updating my FC doc, and now I have a whole new setup I'd like to do
a write-up on...

>> Not a clue what Goom is (a game, I presume?).
>
> A very cool (well I think so) visualisation for MythMusic.

Ah, okay.

>> Huh. Haven't seen that happen here... What ivtv driver setup are you
>> using?
>
> This is through the EPIA TV-out, using the onboard mpeg decoder, I
> switched from the PVR-350 to get accelerated graphics for the
> visualisation and for MythGame (When I finally get round to setting it
> up)

Oh, okay, so its not the ivtv driver, good (well, relatively speaking).

>> Haven't ever tried viaexp...
>
> It seems to run well, but I'm using the via binary drivers though.

I've heard a few reports of issues with their binary driver, many of
which are fixed in Ivor's driver.

>> It works quite well for viewing my dvd rips done with either xvid or
>> ffmpeg mpeg4 in avi containers (plays back without any frames
>> dropped),
>> doesn't do so well on other stuff (looks like 15-20 fps instead of
>> 24).
>
> By other stuff do you include mpeg2 streams (read DVD from mplayer /
> xine)?

Haven't tried an mpeg2 stream. The main thing I noticed failing was ogg
container rips, but I am not positive what codec was used. I didn't pay
that much attention, I just noticed that all my recent stuff (I finally
settled on a setup I liked in dvd::rip) worked, and some of my
experimental rips failed (along with some stuff from a friend, which I
believe was encoded with divx). I'd have to actually pay more attention
and launch mplayer from the cli to get a better idea of exactly what
does and does not work. I'm positive all my avi container ffmpeg mpeg4
files play back fine (including movies recorded off the air and
edited/transcoded with avidemux2). I'm fairly certain all the xvid
encoded stuff is fine too... No time to mess with it until this weekend
though.

>> Good question. Haven't tried that just yet...
>
> GOOOOM :-)

I'm going to go play with that in just a minute before hitting the
sack...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com