[mythtv-users] Automatic channel scanning

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Jun 8 00:48:32 EDT 2004

On Jun 7, 2004, at 20:01, <madera at insignesoftware.com> wrote:

> I downloaded the Zappin program RPM.
>
> It says that:
>
> Using video device '/dev/video0', display ':0.0'.
> Querying frame buffer parameters from DGA.
> Using V4L2 2.5 interface.
> Device '/dev/video0' does not support video overlay.
> Setup failed.
>
> Why could that be??

Um, because the device /dev/video0 doesn't support video overlay, just
like the error message says... =)

The PVR-x50 series cards don't do video overlay (at least not with the
current driver implementation, not sure if it is technically possible).
They take the incoming video stream and encode it to an mpeg2 file.
Same reason xawtv doesn't work with that card. In asking your original
question, you neglected to mention that you were using a PVR-250,
otherwise, you probably (hopefully) wouldn't have been pointed to
zapping and xawtv.

> I'm trying to use zapping just because I can't stand that MythTV isn't
> capable of doing what a simpler program can do!!! I mean, autoscanning
> free air TV can't be that complicated!

I believe its a very low priority item, because almost everyone uses
cable or satellite. There can't be that many broadcast stations in your
area that its a huge deal to hunt manually. Try ptune.pl and/or
ptune-ui.pl for pre-myth channel changing (or just use test_ioctl)
while viewing the video stream with mplayer /dev/video0.

> I only need a program which can autoscan normal tv broadcasts, just to
> make my PC a normal TV!! Not any DVB, DVD nor any other cable or other
> stuff... all utomatically.

Again, please understand that your needs aren't the highest priority of
the MythTV developers. They're more than willing to accept a patch if
you want to write the code for auto-scanning though.

> If Windows can do it, why couldn't our super-technical Linux do that??

Because nobody has written the software to do it yet. At least, not for
hardware mpeg2 encoding tuner cards.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com