[mythtv-users] nuvexport.. Batch mode??

Eric Hattemer eric at hattenator.dyndns.org
Sun Jun 6 19:52:45 EDT 2004

Chris Petersen wrote:

>First of all, nothing you do will get a 3-hour video onto a CD and still
>have decent quality.

In that case, what's the best way to split a file into two?  Do I need
to make cut points and only export half the file at a time, or is there
a program that quickly cuts an existing mpeg file in half?  I guess I
could make a 1.5GB file and just split it in half binarily and then put
it back together before watching it, though.

>Secondly, yes.  When you speak of bitrates, it refers to the amount of
>data "per second" that the file takes up.  So a 1000kbps file takes up
>1000 kilobits per second, regardless of whether or not it's 320x240 or
>1600x1200.  Keep in mind that there is a ratio between bitrate and frame
>size, so that at the same bitrate, the smaller framesize will be less
>compressed and thus look better (albeit smaller).

So small frames look pixelated on stills, and large frames get fuzzy
with motion (both fullscreen)?

>           L * B
>         (1024 * 8)

Thanks, good stuff.

>If all you're doing is archiving to CD, why not just use myth's built-in
>transcoder and transcode to a low bitrate movie?  Then you can just drop
>the nuv file into the disk and be done with it?

I very well could do this, thanks, but I think if it takes as much time
to use the transcoder, and the nuvexport, I may as well get the added
bonus of being able to watch the files at work or something.

-Eric Hattemer