[mythtv-users] MPEG-4 Decoder hardware

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat Jun 5 18:31:23 EDT 2004

Chris Pinkham wrote:

>>Is there any known MPEG-4 decoder hardware that works with MythTV?  I'm
>>looking to build a frontend utilizing and old PIII-450 and my main
>>backend has a WinTV card that I record in RTJPEG on and transcode much
>>of it to MPEG-4 for storage.  I also have a large number of Videos that
>>I have encoded as MPEG-4 and I'd love to have a frontend that could play
>>this back using my existing hardware.   I've come across some boards
>>from Sigma Designs but didn't see much in the way of Linux support nor
>>could I tell that if it did have Linux drivers if those would be enough
>>to work with MythTV or if something more was necessary.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Kevin
>>

>I use a Celeron 466 as my main frontend and have no problems playing
>mpeg-4 .nuv files and mpeg2 files from MythTV and have no problems playing
>.avi mpeg-4 files from other sources either.  Make sure whatever video
>card you have in the machine can use the Xv output so scaling can be
>done in hardware and that P3-450 should be able to play mpeg-4 fine.

Thanks.  I have an ATI All-in-Wonder and despite the lack of V4L
interfaces to control the tuner, the GATOS drivers seem to have good Xv
support (too good as it seems that is the only way to operate the tuner
as well :) ).  I'll have to give it a shot.  Do you have issues running
LiveTV with that configuration from another backend as RTJPEG or MPEG-4?

Kevin