[mythtv-users] RE: Scientific Atlanta 3250 - Anyone get this to

jds jds-myth at losdos.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 4 18:44:09 EDT 2004

just an FYI... i have a complete "simple IR LED transmitter HOWTO",
including an auto-configuration script and a whole lot of detail at
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html

it covers the exact situation that steve describes below -- namely
the implementation of a second instance of LIRC which does not
interfere with the LIRC handling the Hauppauge remote.  in effect,
if you have a PVR-250/350 and use the OEM remote to control MythTV,
the second instance of LIRC (as detailed in the link above) simply
allows you to control an external IR-equipped device (e.g. a cable
or satellite set top box).

note that many/most DirectTV receivers have rear panel RS232 ports
which make interfacing to MythTV trivial.  however, the majority of
DISH receivers and also most cable boxes either lack a documented
control port or the control port has been administratively disabled.
in these cases the simple IR LED transmitter does the job well, for
a few dollars in parts and a half hour of system configuration.

jds