[mythtv-users] Do I understand MythTV correctly?

David myth at dgreaves.com
Fri Jun 4 11:37:30 EDT 2004

Dan Boger wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:39:29AM -0400, lawrence.mandel at utoronto.ca wrote:
>

>>So I've been reading through the MythTV manual and users mailing list
>>and if I understand what I can do with MythTV I'm amazed.
>>

>It is pretty cool :)

It is isn't it !

>>Let me setup the scenario I have in mind.
>>
>>I can setup a MythTV backend on a P4, 2GHz, 512 Megs, and large HDD
>>with two Hauppauge 250 cards (no sound card?). One card will be
>>connected to a digital cable box and the other to regular cable. The
>>one connected to the digital cable box can be configured (with some
>>sort of IR device) to control the cable box. I can then setup one or
>>more frontends on other machines (Hauppauge 350 card and SB live with
>>5.1 surround) and connect via ethernet to the backend. The frontends
>>will have full functionality and be able to view recorded programs and
>>live tv (by selecting the source from the backend.)
>>
>>Is this right? Can MythTV do all of this?
>>

>Yup.  And no sound card needed on the backend - since you're just
>recording there, and not actually playing sounds.

And you don't need a capture card on the frontend either (so lose the 350)

>>If so I have a few questions.
>>
>>1. What would you recommend to use for the backend machine? I would
>>   guess a P4, 2GHz, 512 Megs, large (>100Gig) HDD and two Hauppauge
>>   250 cards will work. Should/can I use a more/less powerful machine?
>>   Do I need half a gig of ram?
>>

>The RAM might be useful.  As for CPU, you can go a lot lower.  Since
>you're planning on using 250s for the encoding, it's done in hardware,
>so the CPU will be mostly idle.  As for disk space, I've 0.5T NFS
>partition set up, and it's full :)  So more is always better!

Yep, me too
I've just posted:
http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/AdministrationSoftware_2fLvmRaid

>>4. This is the where do people recommend going for hardware question.
>>   I want my frontends to look cool (not a crappy beige box.) Anyone
>>   know of a good computer shell shop? Preferably something thin. How
>>   about a good shop for purchasing the rest of the hardware I need?
>>

>Sorry, no clue.

I like the antec minuet as a small frontend.
Nice and black, quite long fits micro-atx + half height cards.

>>5. Finally, from what I've read it's safest to use Hauppauge 250 and
>>   350 cards but they do cost more then other cards. Can anyone
>>   recommend other TV input and TV output (with COAX connection)
>>   cards? I don't want to sacrifice audio and video using MythTV.
>>

>I believe the x50s will give you the best video quality, but getting
>them to work right might take some effort.  I've no problems anymore
>with my 350 (backend/frontend), since I started using the ivtv binary X
>driver.

OTOH I use a (single) 350 in a combined front/back machine and have very
few problems and excellent picture.
X works fine.

>My myth stats:

and mine: