[mythtv-users] DirecTV "Low Speed Data" Port w/MythTV

Brian Johnson brian at dogtoe.com
Fri Jun 4 02:36:02 EDT 2004

I have MythTV completely setup and able to run on Debian Unstable. I
recently signed up for DirecTV and activated the equipment last Monday.
On the back of my receiver, there are two RJ11-style ports; one labeled
"low speed data" and the other labeled "phone".

I did a little research and found a Windows utility
(http://www.dtvcontrol.com/) to change the channels via the "low speed
data" port. They also list a series of serial-to-RJ11 cables that you
can either make or purchase. Seeing how MythTV isn't available yet for
Windows, I am in need of a Linux solution for changing the channels
using the command line. Does anyone know of such a program? The model
receiver I own is a RCA DRD435RH. I am also aware of the mythtv-setup
screen in which you can specify an extermal program to change channels...

- Brian