[mythtv-users] Double Lirc Keystroke Navigating in MythTV

Dave and Lisa Hofstra lisadaveh at comcast.net
Thu Jun 3 18:58:14 EDT 2004

I have always had double keystrokes on my navigation keys on my remote
control in CERTAIN parts of MythTV.  This has not been so much of an
issue before (just VERY annoying), but now that Myth is setup to use
right arrows and left arrows to select and/or exit certain menus, it has
become a bigger problem for me.  Let me explain:

My Lirc is installed from scratch, along with MythTV 0.15.1 from
scratch.  My remote keypresses using irxevent work perfectly in xine or
a simple text editor.  When I say perfectly, I mean that every 1
keypress on my remote results in 1 character in the text editor (not 2).

When I use MythTV, the main menu navigation works perfectly 1 keypress
on the remote = 1 action up or down on the main menu.

However, when I enter certain menu's in MythTV like the 'Select Music
menu', using the same up and down arrows that presented only 1 action on
the main myth window, now produce 2 menu movements.  It is always 2
lines.  So, for example when navigating the 'Select music',  'play
music' etc main menu, pressing up once produces one menu item move up.
BUT when I get into the actual music selection with thousands of
listings, 1 press of up produces exactly 2 movements of the menu up.

This weird result of 2 keystrokes is identical in the 'Watch Recordings'
menu.  The main TV menu gives 1 menumove per 1 keypress, whereas the
actual listings in  all recordings gives exactly 2 keystrokes per remote
button press.

I used to just hold the button 'down' for a while to end up on some odd
numbered line and then i could just press up X amounts of times to go
back up to my selection 2 lines at a time, but now that myth uses left
and right arrows, this doubling of keystrokes is happening when I want
to move to a new menu.   For example, pressing right on the TV menu
button on the main screen presents me with live TV... 2 keystrokes of
'right' arrow have put me through the tv menu right to the live tv
images.  Or, when hitting 'right' arrow in my all music lefthand menu
brings me to the song of the first artist in the list rather than to the
first artist in the list where I want to be.

My program guide ALWAYS moves perfectly as 1 keypress = 1 menu movement.

I have always used lirc with irxevent, and I thought maybe I should give
up irxevent and use myth's builtin lirc compatability.  So I recompiled
Myth with lirc support, and without running irxevent, I get no
keystrokes at all.  I do know that lirc support builtin is working
because now if I halt the lirc daemon, mythfrontend complains about
'could not connect to socket' on startup.  If lircd is running, and
irxevent is not, lirc starts up with no messages from the frontend
whatsoever lirc, but nothing happens.

I am using a homebrew lirc reciever and a good quality One for all
remote using some Sony IR code that looked good to me in lirc, and had
very distinct mode2 results on each keypress.

NOTE:  My system is Mandrake 9.2, and my liblirc-client..so.0.0.0 was
automatically put in usr/lib by mandrake.  I even tried replacing  this
file with the one lirc created for me when I installed it in
/usr/local/lib/liblirc-client.so.0.0.0

Please Help:

Dave Hofstra
Very Happy MythTV user x 1 year