[mythtv-users] How hot is your system?

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 09:50:39 EDT 2004

> > As another aside, those of you with Zalmans will almost certainly want to
> > get rid of the active HSF on the northbridge, if you have one. The fans on
> > these things are very noisy and are typically the first things to die on
> > their arses. With that 92mm blowing down onto practically the entire
> > motherboard, you can replace the northbridge cooler with one of Zalmans
> > excellent northbridge heatsinks without fear of it overheating.
>
>Good point. I might try that on the ABit IC-7G motherboard I've got,
>although when I was assembling it, I had the north bridge fan by
>itself going once and it was actually really quiet.

I have an ABit KD7-R in my desktop, and whilst the nbridge fan was very
quiet at first, the bearings started going after about 6 months and it made
the most dog-awful whine ever. Small fans are just ear hazards waiting to
happen...! I like to think if it ain't broke don't fix it, but getting the
mobo out (even with a mobo tray in one of them nice Lian Li PC-60's) and
fitting the Zalman post-build was incredibly frustrating and fiddly, so I
figure for my next board I'll do it before I power the machine on.

/me listens to the sound of his warranty flying away in fear