[mythtv-users] To those experiencing backend crashes (mythbackend 0.15 crash)

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Thu Jun 3 02:37:19 EDT 2004

> Message: 20
> Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:09:09 -0700
> From: Eric Hattemer <eric at hattenator.dyndns.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] To those experiencing backend crashes
>         (mythbackend    0.15 crash)
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>

> >So, ah, why don't you just get a backtrace like the docs instruct you
> to do
> >when you're experiencing crashes/lockups?
> >
> >Isaac
> >

> I'm not trying to be hurtful or blameful or anything.  I haven't had a
> chance to set it up with debugging yet.  I kept the subject theme of
> "crashing", but there really is no crash in my case.  The backend even
> seems to keep doing stuff, so I'm not sure if the backtrace would have
> stopping point.  I will try to compile it with debug info and produce
> some useable back/stacktraces when I have a chance.
>
> I just wanted to know if there was something simple in common with
> those
> experiencing these problems.  It doesn't seem to be a problem for a
> lot
> of people.  So if it is a RedHat/Mandrake issue, an upgrade issue, or
> something like that, there may not be a developer patch necessary (or
> possible).  The idea that it only is a problem for a few people made
> me
> thing it was probably something I was doing wrong.  I will try to
> submit
> some debugging info if I have time anyway.
>
> -Eric Hattemer

I'm running Mandrake 10 Official, with thacs.rpms as the mythtv source.

Runs flawlessly (after some initial fun with funky behavior (mythconverg
related I think) that seems to have "fixed itself" with the default
kernel, was also running cooker with same kernel, 2.6.3-7mdk. Tried a
custom compiled with only K7 and preemptive changed, the preemptive did
BAD_Things to recording when running interactive programs (backend is
also main "box", as it appears to give the X et al the ability to
preempt recording I/O which is or needs to be a real time
process.(effectively)

Running Nvidia 5336 drivers, not using TVout on my GF4 MX 400 as I have
an Xbox for the main frontend, which took adding one line to the sources
list, and an "apt-get install mythfrontend mythdvd mythvideo
mythweather" to get 0.15 up and going on.

Mythmusic had a dep conflict with an alsa lib, I decided to jack with it
later.(Using xbox-mythtv 0.4.1, may not be an issue on 0.4.3)

May be an FC1/2 issue, or something ivtv related, but it's NOT Mandrake.