[mythtv-users] Dual NTSC/ATSC Setup

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 3 00:47:22 EDT 2004

On Jun 2, 2004, at 21:13, David A. Greene wrote:

> Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> Yes, there is a global mode, but there are also per-card overrides.
>
> I think you mean per-channel, right?  When I went into the channel
> editor I could choose NTSC or ATSC.

Whoops, yes. Like I said, my memory is hazy. ;-)

>>> What do I choose for this setting?
>> In the setup util (where you define inputs, guide data sources, etc.).
>>> I assume adding an HDTV
>>> video source and connecting that to the pcHDTV is sufficient
>>> to tell Myth which card to use for what.
>> Double-check that the global mode is being overridden for the pcHDTV
>> card.
>
> Again, for channels?  I set the pcHDTV card to the pcHDTV card
> type in the capture cards setting.

I believe that's correct.

> What do I specify as an audio source?  Doesn't the MPEG already
> contain the audio?

You shouldn't have to spec anything for audio source, but if you have
issues, I seem to recall some of them being resolved by simply setting
the audio source to /dev/dsp (which in my case, is a symlink to
/dev/dsp0). The MPEG does indeed already contain the audio though.

>>> Now of course I
>>> don't know how to go about specifying an over-the-air HDTV
>>> source as my video sources list doesn't seem to include
>>> anything like that.
>> You basically pull down the corresponding non-HDTV guide data, then
>> edit the frequency tables. At least that used to be what you had to
>> do, I haven't played with my pcHDTV card in ages...
>
> Ok, by "edit the frequency" you mean freqid, right?

Yes.

> From other
> (channum?) to not conflict with other channels (200+ in my
> case to make things easy) and also edit the frequency (freqid?)
> to correspond to some (?) HDTV frequency.

I only had my pcHDTV card in my box, so I set the channel numbers to
the same as their NTSC counterparts and just edited the freqid.

> Which frequency do I use, the "official" HDTV frequency or
> the remapped numbers.  For example, one of the PBS stations
> here is at HDTV channel 34 but is remapped to 2.1 to
> correspond to the NTSC channel 2 from the same station.
> What do I enter for the freqid?  34?

I *think* so...

> What about subchannels?
> The other PBS station has five of them (17.1-17.5 all under
> HDTV channel 16 -- the NTSC channel is at 17).

Check out antennaweb.org, it should give you all the freqids you need,
I believe. I vaguely recall creating different channels for each of the
PBS sub-channels in my area, and then assigning one sub-channel to
each's freqid. Check out this, if you haven't already:

http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12

> Right now whenever I press "y" in myth it locks up and
> reports a 0% signal.  I set the HDTV video source to
> start on channel 34 (the PBS HDTV station).  How do I
> get the HDTV channels to show up in browse/scan mode?
> They show up in the guide but not in the full-screen
> live tv browse mode.  I also can't flip channels
> down from 2 (the lowest) to get to 215 (the highest).
> Is having a gap in channel numbers a bad thing?  Right
> now the cable stops at 125 and HDTV starts at channum
> 200.

Hm... I *think* you want a channel with freqid 34 to get the PBS
station, but again, not sure...

> With dtvsignal channel 34 looks very strong.  Some of
> the others are at zero, but that's more a function of
> my antenna.  I need to get a better one, apparently.  :(

Yeah, I spent over $400 putting mine up, and have hardly had the time
to do anything with it...

> Thanks for your help!

Glad you think my bumbling is helpful. ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/