[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase - getting my tv_grab_na or xmltv working

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 31 15:36:27 EDT 2004

Steve Dorsey wrote:

>   Mythfilldatabase is yielding me errors, and now, after reading
> posts, I am not sure if I need to install a new technology to get my
> listings. I upgraded xmltv and its dependencies. Is this all I need to
> do to get mythfilldatabase working? I don't even know if I need to
> change something in the MythTV config or in a text file somewhere.

MythTV 0.15+ no longer use XMLTV for grabbing listings in North
America.  Instead, Myth now has a built-in grabber (using Tribune Media
Service's/Zap2It's DataDirect web service) that pulls more information
more quickly and with less strain on the provider's servers.  Therefore,
you don't need XMLTV.

>   Any feedback is appreciated, even if it is a pointer to a posting
> somewhere which may solve the problem. I have been very unsuccessful
> with my archive of 826 email digests and the gossamer threads in
> finding anything. I'm really trying to look for solutions before posting.

Configuring the Zap2It.com DataDirect service

Grabbing channel icons for DataDirect users

And, especially, Migrating from XMLTV to DataDirect