[mythtv-users] 2.6.3-7 sds kernel and LVM2 for mythtv

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 31 15:13:34 EDT 2004

Mark Maas wrote:

> I've been using the recommended kernel-sds 2.6.3-7 kernel with
> built-in ivtv modules.
>
> Now i'm trying to install lvm2 to get two 200GB drives to work as one
> for mythtv.
> So I installed lvm2, but when the system reboot's it does not go
> beyond the vgscan section of the boot-process.
> I have to go into single-user mode to disable the lvm section in the
> rc.sysinit file. Then the system boots up fine again. I've tried the
> approaches on:
> <http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&forumid=47&threadid=185074>
>

> But to no avail...
>
> Also, a vgscan command run from the console just sits there. Nothing
> else.
>
> Anyone know a possible plan of attack?

Do you have dm-mod installed (i.e. modprobe dm-mod assuming you've build
LVM support as a module)?  Are you initializing the device mapper (i.e.
if not using udev, you'll need to ensure the device nodes are created
with something like /sbin/devmap_mknod.sh ).  (Note, I'm not using Linux
2.6 with LVM2, so I don't know for sure if udev would successfully
create the nodes for you, so just ensure you have /dev/mapper/control
(and possibly something like /dev/mapper/volume_group-logical_volume).)

Did you create your physical volumes?  Once you did pvcreate, what does
pvdisplay give?  Do you see info on the physical volume?

Did you specify a filter (list of devices that should not be checked for
volume groups--i.e. /dev/cdrom , /dev/hdd (or whatever your CD is on),
etc.) in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf ?  If not, it's possible that your system is
just taking a long time to scan these devices it shouldn't be scanning.

Once you completed your vgcreate (creating the volume groups), what does
vgdisplay give?  Do you see info on the volume group?

Have you properly created your logical volume?  What does lvdisplay
give?  Do you see the logical volume?

Note, also, that the vgscan command is automatically performed with
LVM2.  Therefore, you won't need to run it every time you boot.
However, you do need to successfully complete a scan once when you're
configuring LVM (to make sure it's working).

HTH.

Mike