[mythtv-users] No more saa7134 sound problems (except when you have 2... :-S )[Scanned]

Per Åge Sørvik peraage at leneogperaage.com
Sat Jul 31 04:30:02 EDT 2004

Jason Keirstead wrote:

>On July 30, 2004 12:38 pm, Mike Schoenmakers wrote:
>

>>works just fine and individual recording goes without any problems. But
>>dual recording (equals one recording and one viewing) gives major out of
>>sync issues... I have a P4 2,8Ghz HT, 512Mb so this cannot be the issue.

MPEG4 encoding could easily overpower that system at to high resolutions
and wrong settings, especially with a low quality tv signal. Have you
tried watching the load and CPU idle time ?

>But what kind of HD do you have? That's likely your bottleneck.
>
>Writing out two huge streams of data while simultaneously reading them back is
>a lot of I/O. You'd better have a pretty intense drive if you're doing all
>that on one disk.

No, that is not a lot of I/O. MPEG4 data streams have an extremly low
bitrate (typical 1-4 Mbit/s).

>Your best bet would be to use a striped raid.

That is just going to make things worse. The only thing RAID0 helps for
is STR, which is not an issue at all. A modern HD can easily deliver
320Mbit/s data stream, and even with 4 streams which will cause some
seeking, it should easily keep up.

--

peraage