[mythtv-users] Non-OTA ATSC HD Capture

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Jul 29 16:47:03 EDT 2004

>> But, this is why HDTV on a computer and with Myth may
>> be limited to only those who bought the cards when they are/were still
>> legal.
>>
> And only to OTA HDTV channels.  Even if someone eventually gets QAM support
> working on the pcHDTV, the only channels satellite/cable operators would
> consider sending unencrypted are OTA channels, and most operators are
> choosing to encrypt even the OTA channels.  However, I agree with your point.
> It's well worth buying a $200 pcHDTV card now--even if you don't have the
> high-def antenna and/or high-def TV.  It's also worth reading up on these
> issues at the EFF ( http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/ and
> http://www.eff.org/issues/drm/ and http://www.eff.org/issues/dmca and many
> more) and actually getting involved ( http://action.eff.org/ ).

 	Which brings up the point of QAM on the pcHDTV.  I emailed support, and
they said that the OREN OR1211 chip that they're using supports QAM.  They
haven't gotten it to work, but I don't know how hard they've tried.  I also
don't know the development environment (anything proprietary in the drivers or
hardware?).

 	I suspect that with the broadcast flag enforced for copy "protection,"
and QAM for closed-circuit bandwidth conservation, cable companies might start
broadcasting unencrypted QAM channels.  I thought that FCC et al. wanted to
have consumer-grade "HD cable-ready" TV's and such to work without magic settop
boxes.  The broadcast flag allows for unencrypted, but "protected" streams to
come down the wire to a cable-ready tv.  Of course I could be all wet and
they'll require a magic box to get *anything* over the cable soon.

-Cory