[mythtv-users] Help wit recording profiles WTF am I doing wrong?

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Thu Jul 29 15:33:28 EDT 2004

    Hi all.  I'm having a bit of a problem I'm hoping someone can help
me with.

    My system consists of, Redhat Fedora Core 2 on a 733 Mhz Pentium III
with 256MB memory and a bttv (haugpauge) card.  I just installed RHC2
and MythTV a couple of days ago using Jarod's HOWTO.  Everything went
very smoothly and seems to work, but I'm having trouble with my
recording profiles.  After installing everything, I recorded an hour
long show and found that the file (.nuv) produced was ~4GBytes in
length.  So I figured I would change the encoder for the "Default"
Software encoder from the RTJpeg encoder to an MPEG4 encoder.  Then I
tried the record operation again, and once again the file was ~4GB in size.

    To verify that I was changing the correct recording profile, I went
back to the RTJpeg encoder, changed the resolution (down), and set the
quality to a ridiculously (20) small value.  And, of course, the quality
sucked and was barely viewable, but it did verify that I was mucking
with the correct profile.

    After verifying that I was mucking around with the correct profile,
I changed it back to use the MPEG4 encoder, and set the bitrate to a
ridiculously low value (200) and then tried to record.  Same huge 4G
file produced.  It almost seems like the RTJpeg encoder with it's
default install values is being used rather than the MPEG4 encoder.

    So...can any tell me what I may be doing incorrectly?  Is there any
way to verify (at recording time) which encoder is actually be used?
Did I totally miss something?

    One other quick question.  Is there any way to abort a recording in
progress?  The only way I've been able to do it is to go to the info for
the active recording and select "Dont record....", shutdown the
frontend, then shutdown the backend.  There has to be a simpler way of
doing this...isn't there?

    Thanks in advance for any information and/or help anyone can give me.

--
Michael J. Lynch
Gcom Inc.

"What if the hokey-pokey IS what it's