[mythtv-users] MythTV on older system?

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Thu Jul 29 12:22:15 EDT 2004

I currently run mythtv on a P2 333MHz machine.  I use a matrox MJPEG card
(G400+Rainbow Runner G) to do the video capture.  This gives me hardware
encoding, but the hardware decoding doesn't seem to work with this
combination.  Recording barely increases my cpu load.

I have to use horribly low quality for livetv, since software decoding of
mjpeg takes a TON of cpu.  But for scheduled recording, I use a better
quality, and automatically transcode to mpeg4.  I find it odd that mpeg4
takes much less power to decode than mjpeg.

Mark