[mythtv-users] Non-OTA ATSC HD Capture

Angus Davis angus at tellme.com
Wed Jul 28 23:35:57 EDT 2004

On 7/28/04 6:11 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> There are a lot of posts (heated topic), but in total, they explain
> why you won't be able to capture cable/satellite HDTV now (not to
> mention why you won't even be able to capture OTA HDTV after July 1,
> 2005).  Actually, you should be able to capture either--even after
> July 1, 2005--but at a maximum quality of 480p.  Basically, you'll get
> DVD-quality TV instead of HDTV...

Too bad.  Big-ass DVI-D w/ HDCP switcher here I come.  I can still use
MythTV to act as my movie content server (ripped from DVD), which is
really what I new for certain I wanted to use it for anyway.  It is
still a cool alternative to Kaleidescape or the AMX MVP for someone not
afraid of a little hacking.  That is, until around 2009 or whenever
someone pulls a DeCSS on the HDTV encryption scheme.  Thanks for the tip,
-angus