[mythtv-users] Voom integration

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Jul 28 21:27:58 EDT 2004

> The only way that I know of to receive HDTV content, and record it,
> now and *in the future* (that's the operative part of that sentence)
> is to capture it OTA with a PC capture card, and currently, the only
> capture card going that works in Linux is the pcHDTV HD-2000.  Get it
> while it lasts folks.

The only problem with the pcHDTV card is that it ONLY works for
over-the-airwaves broadcasts.

I do, however, remember a law becoming active recently that requires
cable (dunno about satellite) broadcasters to provide you with a
firewire-enabled box:

    Starting April 1, 2004, cable operators must supply, upon request,
    HDTV boxes with functional IEEE-1394 (Firewire) connectors, and by
    July 1, 2005, all HDTV set-top boxes require a DVI or HDMI interface.

Unfortunately, this does not say that they need to provide you with an
unencrypted signal, as I've read a few people have found out.  Also
curious that it says this only applies to HDTV boxes, and not standard
ones (since I believe that everyone charges extra for the HD boxes).

Anyway, just an observation.

-Chris