[mythtv-users] MPlayer Occasional Subtitles

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 14:27:43 EDT 2004

At 13:47 26/07/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>On Saturday 24 July 2004 08:32, Joe . wrote:
> > hi all,
> > does anyone know how to make mplayer play the occasional subtitles
> > necessary for films like the godfather or kill bill?
> >
> > if my dvd command is: mplayer -slang en dvd://
> > then this would give constant english subtitles, but what i need, is
> > subtitles only when the foreign langiage is spoken. this works on a
> > normal dvd player (of course), but it also works fine in xine. is it
> > possible to get mplayer to do the same?
> >
> > if the command is just: mplayer dvd://
> > then i get no subtitles at all even if, for instance, someone in the
> > godfather is speaking italian, of someone in kill bill is speaking
> > japanese.
> >
> > anyone else have this working correctly?
>
>That type of subtitle is usually rendered directly on the video; i.e.
>it's (typically) not a true selectable DVD subtitle.  I'm very
>surprised that you say mplayer does not show them... is it possible
>your screen settings are causing them to be cut off?
>
>-JAC

Likewise - I own an awful lot of DVD's with foreign "bits" in them, and
I've not seen one yet that doesn't have rendered subtitles. Generally
speaking (for predominatly englsh-language movies) if you see subs at the
cinema, they'll be rendered on the DVD.

(Irritatingly, there are also an awful lot of foreign language DVD's that
have nothing but rendered subs - like La Haine, gah!)