[mythtv-users] OT: Remote Control Suggestions

Geoff at Hundekeandroyal dot com mythtv at hundekeandroyal.com
Mon Jul 26 12:18:07 EDT 2004

I'm looking for some suggestions on the best remote to use with MythTV.

I currently use the Hauppauge "Grey" remote, and it does an excellent
job.  However, the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons also happen to be
the "Scroll Right" and "Scroll Left" buttons.  I'd like to separate
those.  You can probably see the problem I have when watching something
and trying the turn the sound up or down (the Volume Up button is mapped
to F10 (turn sound up) and Right Arrow (scroll right, skip ahead 30
seconds)).

I have the Lola X10 remote, but some how it stopped working for me.  I
can't get the stupid thing to work again, but it wouldn't matter too
much.  I hate the balance of it in your hand.  It just feels awkward.

So, my ideal remote would have scrolling arrows AND separate Volume Up
and Volume Down buttons.  It would also be a "learning" remote so I
could turn the TV on and off.  It would also need a good set of "DVD"
control buttons, like Play, Record, Skip, FF, pause, etc...  It needs to
look nice, feel good, and not be expensive.  I'm not daunted by too many
buttons, so the more the better.

And obviously, it needs to work with LIRC.

What remote do you use...and do you love it?

Geoff Scott