[mythtv-users] Feature Request: ALSA output

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 21:15:12 EDT 2004

At 16:38 25/07/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
>
>>well, but this just uses the ALSA OSS kernel emulation via /dev/dsp. I am
>>asking about native ALSA support. In the GUI there is also no place to
>>specify the ALSA device, only which /dev/dsp to use (same for mixer).
>>
>Use the keyword ALSA: with the output device after it.  For example
>ALSA:spdif.  Make sure that ALSA is all capital letters.  This has come up
>before in the archives.

I can't find the thread now, but it's in my archive somewhere. I was under
the impression that the native ALSA support in Myth wasn't at 100%; you can
use output via the ALSA:default doohickey just fine (using it myself), but
AFAICR you can't specify a mixer device other than /dev/dsp or
/dev/sound/dsp via ALSA-OSS emulation. I think I remember a post from Isaac
saying the support was "broken", so a feature request is prolly the wrong
idea... more like bugfixes and/or additions to the docs.

Again, IIRC, if you use SPDIF passthrough with ALSA:spdif you don't need
the mixer setting anyway, since the volume would be handled by whatever
device you pass the SPDIF to. But a bit of a bugger for people like me
who'd like to excise OSS completely (but what the hell, I'm still using
2.4), but no major hassle.