[mythtv-users] Feature Request: ALSA output

Schlomo Schapiro ivtv at schlomo.schapiro.org
Sun Jul 25 14:58:23 EDT 2004

Hi,

mythtv seems to rely heavily on /dev/dsp. I would like to post a feature
request for ALSA. Arguments in favor are:

* only with ALSA can you play multiple sound streams (e.g. TV and VoIP
phone ringing), e.g. with the dmix plugin

* kernel 2.6 has ALSA as sound system

* more sound cards supported, not all cards have OSS drivers (and ALSA OSS
kernel emulation destroys all ALSA features)

* use advanced soundcard features (SPDIF, ...)

Maybe it's time to reconsider this ? I have seen threads from last year
about this with negative comments about ALSA's API. Maybe it IS stable now
that ALSA got to the 1.x versions ? Most progs seem to check only that
ALSA is >0.9.8 anyway.

Thanks,
Schlomo

--