[mythtv-users] Need advice for storage project

Adrian Phillips adrianp at broadpark.no
Sat Jul 24 08:14:01 EDT 2004

    Maarten> LVM.  If someone tells me they've resized reiserfs
    Maarten> partitions 20 times without losing data a single time,
    >>  Probably > 100 times since I started using reiserfs (2001 I
    >> think), the first year I did offline resizing and more recently
    >> online resizing and I wouldn't be without it especially for
    >> system filesystems like /var, it saves a single-user mode which
    >> is tedious at least for a server.

    Maarten> Well, that sounds real promising.  Any pointers on what
    Maarten> not to do and what absolutely to do ?  Preparations and
    Maarten> such ?

Backups, backups, backups ! Of course for a huge disk that may not be
so feasible, but at least backup the important stuff.

    Maarten> Have you ever suffered data loss / needed to restore,
    Maarten> doing this ?

Never data loss or restore but a few times (although not with the
newest version - > 2.4.20) I've needed reiserfsck for files that
became inaccessible after a system crash but never for a resize.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare ?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shakespeare/