[mythtv-users] Strange sound problem with VIA onboard sound

Chris Strom mythtv at eeeCooks.com
Fri Jul 23 08:16:53 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:36:09PM +0100, Paul Barker wrote:
[snip]
> I'm using alsa and have set up all of my volumes in the alsa mixer. I
> ran xine to test the optical out was working and can get excellent Dolby
> Digital 5.1 and Dolby Pro Logic from DVDs and I get basic analog stereo
> from xmms on the desktop. The problem is that when I run MythMusic or
> MythTV I get no audio unless I go back into the mixer and check and
> uncheck the "IEC958" button at the bottom of the panel.

Don't know if this will help, but I've got three IEC958 controls in
alsamixer.  I don't recall ever fiddling with them, but they are
currently set to:

 o IEC958 : 0 Vol, Not muted
 o IEC958 Output : 0 Vol, Muted
 o IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA : 100% Vol, Non Muted

I've got an Apollo KT266 based motherboard, my on board sound is
"Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237
AC97 Audio Controller (rev 30)", and I'm just using analog output.

I can play both DVDs (in Xine) and Myth without any problem.  Hope this
is of some use.

Chris