[mythtv-users] Can mythtv handle two dumb capture cards?

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Thu Jul 22 14:38:46 EDT 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 20:03, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Thursday 22 July 2004 01:33 pm, Maarten wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 July 2004 18:56, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > > On Thursday 22 July 2004 12:39 pm, Maarten wrote:

> Stuff in contrib/ is just that -- contributed non-official stuff that may
> or may not be broken, but may be useful to some users.  The docs tell you
> to run mythbackend from a console, and the default level of verbosity and
> default actions of the command line args reflect that.

Djeeez louise...  I just pointed out some little thing, no need to spin it
into a whole tediously long thread...!
But, since we're here now, and since we obviously are both too stubborn to
admit to anything, let me quote you directly from your own official docs,
although I fear this is gonna get real repetitive over time:

From:  Chapter   21.11 Automatically starting mythbackend at system boot time

	Copy the files from the MythTV contrib directory   (...)
		# cp etc.rc.d.init.d.mythbackend /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend

		(...)

	Log files

	By default, the log file for mythbackend will be written to /var/tmp/
	mythbackend.log. This has been tested and is known to work on Mandrake and
	Red Hat, but many people prefer to place logs under /var/log/.

So. Need I say any more ?  Your own docs say, litterally:   <<By default, the
log file for mythbackend will be written to /var/tmp/mythbackend.log>>

> If installing mythbackend from source automatically set it up to run with
> logging to a file, then it would be defaulting to on.  It doesn't do that,
> so it's defaulting to off.  If changing behavior requires user (or
> packager) intervention, then they're no longer using the defaults.  I fail
> to see what is so confusing about this.

I'm not confused.  Just getting more incredulous while reading this thread.

But, you're right.  It can get quite confusing when the developer contradicts
his own docs.  Still, he made an incredibly fine piece of software.  Thanks.

Maarten

> Isaac

Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.