[mythtv-users] HDTV: channel num versus program id (off-topic response)

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Thu Jul 22 11:13:48 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 02:00:53PM -0600, John Patrick Poet wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, John Sturgeon wrote:
>
> > wow.... Completely off-topic response, but how cool is that?  It had
> > never occurred to me that cable/sat companies could/would pump their
> > signals OTA once Digital TV becomes pervasive.  What are the logistics
> > of decoding those shows?  I'm assuming they must provide a proprietary
> > receiver.  Are they encrypted over the air?
> >
> > - --
> > John Sturgeon <><
>

> You can buy the receiver boxes at Walmart for a couple hundred dollars.
> These boxes will tune in normal HDTV non-encrypted material, as well as
> allowing you to subscribe to the "other" channels.
>
> It is actually one of the cheapest ways to get an HDTV receiver.  I have
> been told that you don't HAVE to subscribe to the USDTV service to use the
> box for normal HDTV content.
>
> USDTV is only available in a few cities.  The first city was Salt Lake
> City.  Albuquerque was added a bit later.
>

> John

The boxes are $99 at my local walmart.  You can pick up regular OTA
HDTV but to get the box to work you have to signup for their service.
If you stop service before 6 months they will disable your box because
they have not made up the difference for selling the box at a loss.  If
you keep it for atleast 6 months and then stop service they will only
disable you being able to watch the encrypted stations.  USDTV does not
(Currently) provide HDTV content.  It's not a bad way to get 20 of the
more popular channels for $20 a month.  Just treat it like any satellite
or cable box when using it with Myth.  Oh incase there is any confusion,
the box does output HDTV, not just s-video and component.

--Brandon