[mythtv-users] RE: Subject: Avermedia M179 issues w/ CVS Myth on 2.4.x

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Wed Jul 21 14:29:11 EDT 2004

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:17:08 -0700
> From: "Johnny Lee" <johnny at fishcounts.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Avermedia M179 issues w/ CVS Myth on 2.4.x
>         kernel
> To: "'Discussion about mythtv'" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

> I decided to buy the Avermedia M179 card at frys for $40 and swap out
> my
> BTTV card. Big mistake. The most I can get the sucker to work is watch
> livetv. Once it trys to record it bombs. Most of the time Livetv
> doesn't
> work either but I restart the ivtv driver and it works. I'm running
> the
> apt-get latest version of ivtv 0.1.9 I believe. Anyone have any
> suggestions
> as to something I can try that might make this stable like my BTTV
> card was?
> I am considering putting the BTTV card back in and returning this to
> Frys.
>
> Johnny Lee

I have bought 3 of those cards in the last month... Work great under
Mandrake10, using thacs rpm repository. plf, and contrib.

The 2.7.1-sds23 kernel contains the ivtv-ck99 drivers, I have no issues.
The ck-97 drivers gave me jittery video and a green band across the top.
YMMV/

The stock kernel with mdk10 has ivtv-1.10, and may work IIRC, but the
later sds kernels break out ivtv-msp3400 module, not sure of the "stock"
kernel.

Until you see them work vs a bttv card, don't think about returning
them. HUge difference in my experience, and if you USE the box as a main
system, the only way to go.

If you do decide to return, I'm sure there are listers happy to give